As we slide into Fall it is time for all things pumpkin to surface. You can find lattes, candles, scones, cakes, and so much more all touting this traditional fall flavor or scent. As a joke, one local oil change business even had Pumpkin Spice Oil Change on their sign.
So let’s take the traditional pumpkin pie and take it to a new level. I am talking about a Pumpkin Dump Cake. Dump cakes are a great standby dessert because it couldn’t be easier as you just dump your fruit into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan, top with a cake mix straight from the package, and cover the top with slices of butter. Bake for an hour and you have a delicious dessert. It is a go-to dessert for potlucks and large family dinners.
Pumpkin Dump Cake takes a little extra time as the pumpkin isn’t sweet on its own like fruit so we will create our cake filling by adding some spices, sugar, eggs, and evaporated milk just like we were making a pie. Once we have the filling then we top it with the cake mix, nuts, and butter. The best part is no pie shells are needed.
- 30 oz pumpkin canned ( 2 cans )
- 16 oz evaporated milk
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan
2. Mix pumpkin, milk, ginger, cloves, sugar, eggs, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Pour into 9 x 13 pan.
3. Sprinkle cake mix and chopped pecans on top.
4. Cut butter very thin and cover all over cake mix.
5. Bake for 1 hour and serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.